7/30/2013

Namaste

Somehow, the first two times I ever hear this word occurs within 24 hours of each other. Not that I'm trying desperately to grasp at some significance, but it is notable, at the very least. 

Namaste is both a phrase of greeting and a phrase of parting. Consisting of the two Sanskrit roots "namah" meaning "reverential salutation" and "te" meaning "to you", this phrase translates to "salutations to you". As an aside, "te" is also "to you" in Latin, I vaguely remember some other association Sanskrit and Latin before, well I'll look into that later. Anyway, the more formal form of namaste is "namaskar", where "kaar" is the root for "form", thus forming the meaning "salutations to your form", relating to the Hindu idea of the inner soul being of Brahman and the outer surface being merely an illusion. 

Well, I mean, that's what a cursory reading of Wikipedia tells me anyway.

No comments: